Why Choose a Non Alcohol Hand Sanitizer?
With so many hand-sanitizing products in the marketplace, why would building maintenance choose a non alcohol hand sanitizer instead of one containing alcohol as the active germ-fighting ingredient? It’s important to choose commercial hand sanitizers made in the USA, but what are the benefits of choosing non-alcohol hand sanitizer over an alcohol one?
In some cases, an alcohol-free hand sanitizer is chosen due to health, safety or building security concerns. In other cases, it could be because using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer in the past was causing skin irritation.
Alcohol free hand sanitizers offer instant germ-killing power, are accepted by the CDC as an alternative to alcohol hand sanitizers, and are safer alternatives to alcohol-based formulations in a number of ways:
- Ingestion of alcohol-based hand sanitizers can pose a serious threat and even alcohol poisoning, particularly in young children.
- Alcohol-based formulations are flammable, which can compromise a building’s safety if they fall into the wrong hands.
- If frequent hand sanitizing is required, repeated use of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer can irritate skin and strip away natural, protective oils needed for healthy skin care.
What is an Alcohol-Free Hand Sanitizer?
Instead of using alcohol, which can be harsh on skin and can be flammable, an alcohol-free hand sanitizer uses a different active ingredient to kill germs. Health Guard® Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer uses Benzalkonium Chloride as an active ingredient.
Germ-killing Differences: Alcohol vs. Non Alcohol Hand Sanitizer
In most cases, the germ-killing difference between alcohol and alcohol-free hand sanitizers depends on the percentage of the alcohol contained in the formulation. As an example, Health Guard 70% Alcohol Hand Sanitizer Gel kills 99.99% of most common germs in 15 seconds whereas Health Guard Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer kills 99.99% in the same amount of time. One could argue this is a very minor tradeoff when compared to the advantages that an alcohol-free alternative provides to building maintenance.
As another comparison, Health Guard Foaming 62% Alcohol Hand Sanitizer kills 99.99% of most common germs in 15 seconds, which is comparable to the Health Guard Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer.
Benefits of alcohol-free hand sanitizer:
- Safe, non-flammable formula
- Prevents alcohol consumption/poisoning
- Will not dry skin like alcohol-based sanitizers
- Kills 99.99% of common germs in 15 seconds
- No water needed; rub in and let dry
As an added benefit, most notably for restaurants and food service locations, Health Guard Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer is NSF E3-rated for sanitizing hands between hand washes in both food and non-food areas.
Have budgetary considerations? Health Guard Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer is more economical than alcohol-based products. Furthermore, studies show people prefer a foaming product over a liquid or gel.
Venues for alcohol-free hand sanitizers:
- Schools /Colleges / Universities
- Day Care Centers / Preschools
- Prisons / Jails / Juvenile Detention Centers
- Potential Arson-targeted Buildings
- Long Term Care Centers / Nursing Homes
- Hotels / Casinos
- Stadiums / Arenas
Are there advantages to a foaming sanitizer vs. a gel?
Many people favor the feel of a foaming hand sanitizer when applied to their hands and tend to spread it more consistently for better sanitizing coverage. From an application standpoint, foam products don’t require as much product to be dispensed as compared to gels, so a single container of foaming product will sanitize more hands than a non-foaming gel container of the same size.
How much hand sanitizer should be used?
The amount of hand sanitizer depends on the size of the hands, but it should be enough to completely cover both sides of your hands and between fingers. Typically that can be between .75 mL to 1.2 mL (the size of a dime or about ¼ teaspoon). After dispensing the hand sanitizer into your palm, rub your hands together, rub between your fingers and rub the top of your hands until the sanitizer has evaporated and your hands are dry. Don’t wipe it off before it has dried.
Does Health Guard Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer dry out skin?
According to the National Institutes of Health, washing hands with soap and water causes the highest degree of dry skin and irritation. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can also cause red, itchy, dry skin with overuse. Because Health Guard Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer does not contain alcohol, it is gentler on skin and will therefore help prevent dry, red, irritated skin.
Are there moisturizers in Health Guard Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer?
Yes, the formula contains Aloe and Vitamin E, two ingredients known for moisturizing and contributing to healthy skin care.
Does it have a medicinal scent?
Health Guard Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer has a pleasant, light linen scent, leaving the hands smelling fresh and clean.
Is there an added artificial color?
No, there is no added dye or artificial color in Health Guard Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer.
Do I need to pre-wash my hands?
You do not need to pre-wash hands in most cases when using a hand sanitizer. However, if there is visible soil or grime, you do need to wash with soap and water first.
Is Health Guard Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer compliant with CA Prop 65?
Yes, Health Guard’s Non-Alcohol Hand Sanitizer is compliant with CA Prop 65 and does not contain chemicals listed on California’s Safe Drinking Water & Toxic Enforcement Act. This Act, commonly known as Proposition 65 (Prop 65), established a list of chemicals which the state’s risk assessment process determined present health risks.
Kutol’s products are produced under Current Good Manufacturing Practices at our FDA registered facility. Our products are required to be prepared and packed under sanitary conditions.
How is Health Guard Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer dispensed?
Kutol has multiple dispensing options for Health Guard Foaming No Alcohol Hand Sanitizer:
- Designer Series or EZ Foam® wall mount dispensers are available in no touch (automatic) or manual and come in a variety of colors.
- Designer Series also has a kids multi-color dispenser which dispenses just .4 mL per push for smaller hands.
- Designer Series also offers Health Guard Hand Sanitizer branded dispensers to clearly identify the content as hand sanitizer and avoid any confusion with hand soap dispensers.
Floor Stand with Dispenser
- Light-weight and portable floor stands are great for high traffic areas such as lobbies, hallways, cafeterias, waiting rooms and restaurant seating areas.
- Use with a Designer Series or EZ Foam no touch dispenser.
Counter Top Stand with Dispenser
- These light-weight and portable stands fit conveniently on service counters, reception desks and check-out counters.
- Use with a Designer Series or EZ Foam no touch dispenser.
Portable Pump Containers
- Clean Shape Pump Bottle (950mL)
- Pump Bottle (18 oz)
- Pour Top Gallon with optional pump – can also be poured into a bulk fill dispenser
- Hand-held pump bottle (1.7 oz)